Skip to main content

This is a list of abstracts that covers the period 2007-2011 and showcases work done in both basic and applied research in the field of Agriculture.

Student Research

Title of Research: An Investigation of Whitefly Diversity in Three Areas of Guyana

Name of Researcher: Sinnot Burnett

Although whiteflies are well studied in other countries information on their numbers and species present in Guyana are almost non-existent. This study sough to provide correct identification that is essential for the detection of exotic, invasive species of whiteflies present in Guyana.

The main objective of this study was to investigate the number of whitefly species present in three areas of Guyana. The three areas were Canals (West Demerara), Iwokrama and Yarrowkabra. The areas were sampled twice and whitefly adults and puparia collected from plants and placed into vials containing 95% alcohol. Identification of whitefly species was done. Kruskal- Wallis and Mann-Whitney U-Test was used for statistical analysis. Thirty- five (35) species of whitefly were identified, ten (10) of which are new species to science, Twenty-two (22) species of the subfamily Aleurodicinae and nine (9) from the subfamily Aleyrodinae. For all three (3) areas of distribution of the whitefly population was the same with many different species being found in low numbers, while there was an abundance of either 1 or 2 dominant species.

The results showed that Forested areas have more species of whiteflies as compared to Agricultural areas and that   high proportions of similar species were collected from all sampled areas. The results also indicated that Iwokrama was significantly different for Aleurodicinae and Aleyrodinae when compared to the other two areas. Aleurodicuscocois, Aleurodicusmaritmus, Aleurodicuspalvinatus, Aleurothrixusfloccusus, Aleurothrixus sp. and Aleurotulusmundururu were some species found in all   was three (3) areas. This study was important as it identified the species of whiteflies present in these areas that are of economic importance to Guyana it also provides information that is of value to extension officers.

KEY WORDS: Whitefly diversity, Aleyrodinae, Guyana, Aleurodicinae, Forested areas, Agricultural areas.


Title of Research: Vegetative Propagation of West Indian Cherry (Malpighia glabra) by Stem Cuttings; Response to Indole-3 butyric Acid Under Intermittent Misting

Name of Researcher: Edon A. Daniels

Vegetative propagation is an effective method commonly used for speedy production of plants form actively growing plant parts, but conditions must be ideal for the method to be successful. Thus, the purpose of this research was to evaluate the effects of rooting media, cutting type and varying concentrations of indol-3-butyric acid on the rooting of West Indian cherries cuttings (Malpighia glabra L.). Six varieties of West Indian cherries were used, West Indian #2, 4 and 5; Puerto Rico # 1 and 2; and table cherry. Cuttings were collected from approximately seven year old recently pruned trees during January to April of 2007. Tip and basal cuttings three pairs of leaves, both about 8” long, were treated with 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000ppm of IBA, introducing 1cm of their basal end into the mixture containing IBA. After which the cuttings were planted into three types of media-sand, gravel and promix.

 The experiment was carried out in two phases; phase one was 2 x 3 factorial in a Completely Randomized Design with five replicates with four concentrations (1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 ppm) of IBA. Phase two was a  4 x 6  factorial  trial in a complete randomized design with four replicates. The cuttings were allowed to root for 28 and 56 days under intermittent misting of 1 minute every forty-five minutes and two minutes every forty minutes in phase one and two respectively. After rooting period, the cuttings were evaluated for number and percentage of: rooted cuttings, uprooted cuttings, unrooted with callus, and dead cuttings; roots per cutting and length of roots were done on rooted cutting.

 Promix was the outstanding rooting media with 87.5% rooted cuttings. Varieties and cutting type had inconclusive results, while IBA concentrations had no difference in root growth. Overall, 58.33% cuttings survived of which 68% rooted and the remaining 32% were unrooted with callus. In general, there was a positive response of cuttings root growth due to IBA treatment.

KEY WORDS: Indole-3-butyric acid, tip, basal, rooting media, and West Indian cherry.